Congratulations, you're engaged!!!! After the whirlwind of telling your friends and relatives, posting the perfect announcement on social and showing off the new sparkle on you finger- I'm sure you'll start making those bridal appointments! Before you start dress shopping, take a look at these top 6 tips to make your dress buying experience easy.
1. Come with a budget in mind!
If you come in knowing a price range you're comfortable with, you'll leave much less stressed out! Set your budget for the dress including accessories- normally you can snag good deals if you buy accessories at the same time as the gown!
2. Bridal gowns run small- and I mean, really small.
Don't let those sizes get to you! You'll automatically have to go up a size or two! For instance, if you're normally a size 4, you'll want to try on size 6-10 dresses! Or if you're normally a size 14, you'll likely be fitted for a size 16-20- don't let the random numbers keep you from finding the dress of your dreams!
3. Keep your bridal posse small!
A lot of people means a lot of opinions and it can get overwhelming quickly. Only bring along 2-3 of your friends or family that will be able to help you, but not be too opinionated. It is YOUR day after all! A small group also helps keep your consultant focused on you and less on hosting for your party at the store.
4. Be realistic about shipping times!
If you're not buying a dress right off the rack, wedding gowns can take 4-8 months to ship! And you'll still need at least a month or two for alterations. Make sure you have plenty of time.
5. Be open minded! Even if you have **the** dress already picked out in your mind- you only do this once! Try on a bunch of different styles and silhouettes! You never know what could surprise you. Yeah, maybe you've pinned that silky sheath gown fifteen different ways online and you're obsessed with it on the models, but you might not like it as much in real life on your real body once it's on- and that's okay! You can't figure out what silhouette you like most on yourself without trying a handful of necklines and fits on first!
6. Stay true to yourself!
The most important thing you can do, above all else, is stay true to yourself and your personal style. Trends are so fun to follow, but your wedding gown should be a fun reflection of you and your personality- that's why there are so many materials and textures to choose from! You'll never regret your buying decision if you keep it in line with what you love in general!